Categories

Grieving mum puts out warning after common spice kills small child

Matthew Rader died after eating a small amount of cinnamon image www.newcures.info

Matthew Rader died after eating a small amount of cinnamon. Photo: GoFundMe

It’s a common spice found in the pantries of homes around the world.

But a grieving mum has warned that cinnamon can kill after her four-year-old son died from inhaling it.

US boy Matthew Rader was in his family’s kitchen on June 3 when the inquisitive preschooler climbed on the stove, found a container of ground cinnamon and decided to have a taste of it.

“He started choking. It was like he was having a seizure and just collapsed,” the boy’s mother, Brianna Rader, told local news outlet WRX.
Matthew Rader It was like he was having a seizure and just collapsed image www.newcures.info

The child was rushed to hospital but was pronounced dead 90 minutes later.

A coroner has ruled the death was accidental and caused by cinnamon asphyxiation.

Ms Rader, from Madison County, Iowa, said her son had no health issues before the incident.

“He was completely healthy, no problems,” she told WRX.

Ms Rader said she is determined to warn other parents about the importance of keeping cinnamon away from children.

“[It] helps ease my breaking heart just a little to think that just maybe my baby’s story can save even just one child’s life,” she wrote on Facebook.

Inhaling cinnamon is dangerous because the spice is made from tree bark and contains cellulose fibres that don’t easily break down.

Research suggests that when cinnamon gets into the lungs it can cause scarring, severe irritation and spasms.

Little Matthew’s death was a terrible accident, however many teenagers have been hospitalised in recent years while taking part in a social media stunt known as “The Cinnamon Challenge”.

In the stunt, people video themselves trying to swallow a tablespoon of cinnamon without water. Clips show participants coughing violently when they are unable to do it.

The danger occurs when the coughing leads to cinnamon being inhaled and settling in the lungs.

Despite the dangers, tens of thousands of videos featuring teens undertaking the challenge can be found on YouTube.

In April 2013 a report published in US Pediatrics journal said at least 30 teenagers across America needed medical attention after taking the cinnamon challenge in the previous 12 months.

“This is a dangerous practice which can result in choking, aspiration of cinnamon powder into the lungs, and even respiratory failure requiring a ventilator in extreme cases,” emergency doctor Robert Glatter told CBSNews.com when the report was released.

“The stunt can also be deadly as a result of lack of oxygen to the brain in cases of choking and aspiration of the powder.”

The grieving Ms Radar knows too well the dangers of inhaling cinnamon, and hopes her son’s story will serve as a warning to anyone considering taking part in the dangerous stunt.

“Cinnamon can kill,” she said. “All these kids, they don’t think about the fact it can hurt them.”

ooo

Henry Sapiecha

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply